I re-read Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix in my 20s.

Now, I wasn't huge into reading as a kid when the Harry Potter series came out. I would have much rather been drawing or watching cartoons. However, I have an older brother (about 4 years older than me) and he LOVED the books. Every book report or assigned summer reading he picked Harry Potter. So, naturally, I heard a lot about the books and they sounded cool, but my tiny 2nd-grade brain couldn't even FATHOM reading a thick monster that was' Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix'. My older brother being in 5th grade and excited about reading over the winter break decided he would be so kind and read the book aloud to my sister and me. To be honest, I didn't retain much information from him and his mumbling (before jaw surgery) made it hard to understand, plus the big words. I grew up, saw all the movies multiple times and even became a fan of the musical, decided I would finally truly read Harry Potter.

Right off the bat, I noticed Harry was kind of arrogant ( I mean he is a teen boy who didn't grow up in the best situation) he frequently talked down to others and seemed to be annoyed by any one's company unless specifically requested by him (maybe he's an introvert?) He really only seemed to be interested in Cho Chang and defeating Umbridge to get Dumbledor back. Until Voldemort comes into play, he basically adds so much more stakes and bad blood to the plot. Voldemorts henchman (woman?)  Bellatrix Lestrange kills Sirius Black, Harry's Godfather. And FINALLY (after 5 books) Harry is like 'okay NOW I have to kill Voldemort'  as if killing his parents wasn't enough.

Honestly, the books are really good but I don't think it's because of the main character. The world of magic and wonder J.K Rowling created is just so appealing and whimsical no wonder so many people like the series. The detail and love that was put into crafting such an amazing world truly shown in the book and the movies do it some justice, but reading the books totally transports you into this world.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein: Personal thoughts and feelings.

I Live With You

COVID-19 Vs. Zombies: A horror movie come true or a deadly virus with no happy ending.